Director of OSP Engineering Job Summary: The Director of OSP Fiber Engineering is responsible for delivering the technical, client relationship, and schedule performance for all engineering content within the division. This person will provide strategic technical leadership, establishing and directing all aspects of OSP Engineering, objectives and initiatives based on long-term goals. They are responsible for supplying and maintaining adequate resources for all engineering functions in the pursuit of the division’s strategic goals and operational plans. The Director is also responsible for the overall organizational health of the engineering workforce and for the retention and development of top talent. The position requires flexibility to manage multiple customer requirements, while using analytical and strategic skills to guide the engineering team to successful program deliveries of customer needs. This role will interface with other business units within UtiliSource, and will require collaboration in order to deliver a successful project.
- Responsible for leading a team of Project Coordinators, as the Project Coordinators lead their teams of Engineers/Drafters/Permitting specialists and other professionals within the OSP Engineering business unit.
- Leverage knowledge of OSP engineering and construction practices to create and maintain all related infrastructure.
- Build a team to support the long-term OSP Engineering goals in a manner that aligns with UtiliSource’s overall strategic direction, including inter-divisional coordination. This includes recruiting, hiring and leading direct reports.
- Work collaboratively and proactively with UtiliSource Clients, the Client’s Constructor, Project Management, GIS, and vendors.
- Detailed knowledge of FTTx and PON designs, including both centralized split, distributed splits, and distributed tap as they are applied in both aerial and buried applications.
- Develop, implement, and maintain standards for OSP Engineering, regarding design, training, QA/QC, and deliverables. Focus on positive impact, scalability, and reliability.
- Knowledge of easements, rights-of-way, permitting, and other requirements associated with the use of public and private property.
- Spearhead new plant installations by accurately, thoroughly, and efficiently detailing requirements from clients. Construction drawings, permit applications, splicing diagrams, documentation, and other required materials must be accurate and legible for the client and their constructor.
- Provide “dashboard” status updates for OSP projects and properly forecast project completion schedules.
- Provide support to the client and their constructor during construction.
- Act as an ambassador and promoter of UtiliSource products. Ensure a positive Company image by working closely with trusted partners, external customers, community leaders, regulatory groups, and others.
- Attend industry meetings from both a technical and sales standpoint.
- Maintaining a balance of resource allocations within their group, including the Project Coordinator’s own technical capability
- Creating a culture of inclusivity and development Required Skills/Abilities:
- Comfortable working with all levels of internal management, external trusted partners, community stakeholders, and governmental officials.
- Knowledge of other utilities and related utilities infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of OSP construction practices.
- The ability to work independently under minimal supervision – must be driven and be able to define work tasks based upon project goal and corporate objectives.
- Must have strong communications skills – verbal and written.
- Travel 25-50% of the time to help ensure continuity across different OSP Teams
- Position will require reporting to the Platte City Office when not traveling.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year Engineering degree from an accredited college or university. MBA or MS Engineering Management degree is preferred. Equivalent professional experience also considered.
- 5 years of progressive experience in leadership roles within a Service Provider environment. Experience in construction environments is a plus.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification (preferred)
- Professional Engineer (PE) license (preferred)
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Vision to allow prolonged periods of computer work.
- Vision to allow differences in colors, shades, and brightness.
- Light to moderate lifting is required.
- Must be able to tolerate moderate noise (business office with computers, phones, printers, and light traffic)
- Must be able to traverse all necessary terrain at a job site.
- Must be able to drive a vehicle for at least eight hours to travel to and from job sites.
- Must be able to work in different temperatures and changing weather conditions.
- Must be able to traverse and inspect all areas of jobsite in all types of weather; this may include walking, climbing, reaching, bending, crawling, or stretching.
- Exposure to characteristic construction site dangers.
To apply for this job email your details to Heather.Christine@sellcon.us